Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Abiding In Jesus

These past few months it seems that all I read about is staying in God’s presence, power and walking in total submission to Him. One of my favorite scriptures is John 15. In this scripture we read about how to abide in Christ and for Him to abide in us.

Jesus says:

V4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.”

What does abide mean? It means to be sure, to remain in place, to stand, to endure, to dwell, to sojourn, to be firm, and to stay. Are you getting the picture? How secure and stable is abiding? Well, the way I look at this definition and the Word of God, it is mighty secure and stable. Oh how I want to dwell in God’s presence no matter what is happening around me. It is not dependant on feelings or attitudes. It is not dependent on the circumstances of life. It is a matter of belief, trust and total surrender to the truth of the gospel, who Jesus is and who He is in my life.

It is a choice that we make. If I live daily in His Presence and under Father’s protection nothing can harm me, nothing can touch me, and He is my refuge, my hiding place. Yes, life happens. Tragedies happen but imagine yourself being held in Father’s cupped hands. I have seen myself there so many times and I have literally felt His hands holding me safe and secure even in the midst of the storms of life. I love that sense of His abiding presence. He has said He will never leave me nor forsake me. I also feel His arms around me, holding me tenderly and comforting me. He is telling me, focus on Me, trust Me, rest in Me. We know of several people right now who are resting in Jesus in the midst of a very big storm and nothing can harm them.

V5 I am the vine, you are the branches, He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Without Him I can do nothing. Oh how true that is! I want to bear His fruit but I cannot do that without abiding in Him. I can go through the motions and get something done but what quality of fruit am I producing. I want good quality fruit to be produced.

Here are 4 Keys to Effective Christian Living

1. Abiding - to live, to stay, to continue in a permanent state, to dwell, to endure.

2. Fruit Bearing - producing something in abundance, ministry, helping others.

3. Obey - to carry out or fulfill the command or order.

4. Love - Spiritual love - 1 Cor. 13 Unselfish, unconditional

Because you set your love upon God, He will deliver you. He will exalt you or lift you up because you have known the name of the Lord. You pray and He will hear and answer. He will be with you in trouble. He will deliver you and honor you. With long life, we will see His salvation and His glory.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment